I dislike cauliflower. It would even be safe to say that I hate cauliflower. To me, very similar to beets, it tastes like dead mud. However, being diagnosed with Stage Three Renal Disease can do wonders for a picky eater like me in being open to trying new foods. When I came across this recipe in my keto eating plan, suffice to say that I wanted to skim right past. But, I want to live a little while longer so I’ll try it. I love ham. I’m okay with soup. I’m trying to take better care of myself. What could possibly go wrong?
Ham and Cauliflower Soup
This takes about an hour, start to finish. For those of us who are eating keto and keeping to certain macros, I’ve posted them at the end of this blog. This makes one serving of soup for one person.
1 medium saucepot
Immersion blender/personal mixer (NutriBullet)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
0.25 cup yellow onion, diced
0.50 tsp garlic, minced (or one clove)
0.75 cup cauliflower, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
0.08 tsp onion powder
2 ounces of cooked ham, chopped
1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the cauliflower, onion, and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
3. Pour in the chicken broth and add the onion powder.
4. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Transfer to a blender or food processor and blend smooth.
6. Return to the saucepan and add the ham – bring to a simmer.
7. Add the thyme sprig and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Remove the thyme then season with salt and pepper to taste.
|CALORIES||FAT||PROTEIN||TOTAL CARBS||FIBER||NET CARBS|
|315||24 g||14 g||11 g||2.5 g||8.5 g|
I can’t say this was a winner for me. I couldn’t get past how much I really just do not like the taste of cauliflower. However, both my bride and the boychild raved about the soup so … I guess that’s a win?
Try it for yourself and let me know what you think of it.
The Dirty Oracle
Want to speak with me live? Check out my Niteflirt listings.